23 July 2018

The Plain Box Society

A short while ago I answered an invitation to participate in a project based in the USA.  The idea being that each person was to decorate a 3" square kraft card box utilising two stencils from the collection of StencilGirl®
I belong to the Stencil Club (and have been chosen to be a Stencil Voice in the past)  details of the Club can be found here  - I get so much pleasure when that envelope arrives every month with goodies.

To the project...
Being in the UK it was not feasible to use the same box as everyone else
I made my own - 350gsm kraft card


Next I painted with white gesso


I knew one stencil I wanted to use and so masked off areas using sticky notes


I had delayed making, because I had so many ideas, and they were getting in the way of actually doing anything.  I settled on wanting also to use a particular paint effect
Pebeo Dyna Acrylic - it is two coloured, this means it shows up differently on white to black.
So after auditioning I settled for using a StencilClub stencil
by Julie Snidle with black paint

Mask removed

I also auditioned the Dyna paints but the one which I found to show up the colour change the best was the Violet/Blue No. 356, painted over entirety


The stencil which had been in my mind from the beginning was a circle one from the founder of StencilGirl® - Mary Beth Shaw
Used with a sparkly gritty paste - Granite Paste by Cosmic Shimmer
The lid is Gran Perla and the sides Black Pearl


And here we have the result


You can find blog posts from other participants here:






1 comment:

CStrickler said...

The granite paste is a really cool touch. I think I need some in my stash now. I love the way your box turned out!