19 July 2013

Yes, May Be, No - Not me Surely....

Right so last post I signed off mentioning another arty wake up call.  Here's what happened.
Saw a call for entries, on a networking site, exactly me, so acknowledged, few words why, suggested look at website to see if suitable.  Then thought mhmm, bit rude of me, find the email of the person, sent specific photos of items with sizes and techniques/materials for each specified.
This latter may have crossed with the response I got, may not have been read, I don't know - but the response was "can't see what this has to do with the topic"
Huh, jaw drops open, it IS exactly on topic. (I've actually never ever had the ability to bluff my way, too scared to be found out, so would never apply for something not within my remit)  At the moment to me, it looks like an inability to read on the part of the other person.  Actually wondering if they looked, because its so obvious via the photos. I did respond and point out, again, just in case email had not been seen - but heard nothing more.  Of course it could be a roundabout way of saying, you're rubbish don't want you, but hey tell me straight, sideways rebuffs aren't helpful.

But then this is where the profound thinking came in - is my USP not clear enough (Unique Selling Point).  Might need a neon sign pointed at it, marching band have a day off.
Talking with a friend over it, wondered if actually its more of preconceived ideas, ie if it includes X, it must look like Y, not understanding the complexities of another genre, not getting the technical challenges which may arise, or even the possibility that such a combination could exist.  Sigh but why should that matter, its the finished item you look at.  Or.... is it still because it includes textile skills, that we are in the back of beyond in terms of art recognition, or fixated in minds as stitch it looks like this.... doesn't it?  Perhaps I should go back to making the crinoline lady crocheted toilet roll covers - yes I confess, I did make them.  I also made jars of "pickled bums" - but that's a whole other story!  Me - pure fine art you know.

In the meantime, venue being finalised for my Art Trail work, just awaiting confirmation and then I will reveal...
As I can't show work which I'm making for the art trail or exhibitions (I say making, ooops funny falls off chair) how about some of this....

home made texture plates for use with the Gelli Plate mono printing
as yet untested!
click on image, should enlarge


No comments: