26 March 2016

Combining the Mix

I like my blog, I use it as a means to record my arty thoughts, to log an idea, or work, which gives it a date.  I have several blogs I follow via Bloglovin - they vary in topic, textile art, collage, mono printing, papermaking, bookbinding, and even quilting, which seems at odds for a totally non quilt making person.

Of course you follow what interests and these days so much intermingles,  I can find myself led to others by a style, or a wish to know how something works, or someone with similar or compatible interests to my own.

So whilst enjoying reading other artistic thoughts and processes I came across a sentence this week which set me off thinking, oh dear, can't deal with this.

I call myself a Mixed Media Artist.  I stitch, so how to describe?  Its a topic which often goes round and round amongst fellow creative stitchers.

Artist - would be ideal, but then its more of a Painter association I feel.
Embroiderer - well yes, but in my head I think of the precision of goldwork, exquisite fine detail stitching.  Not the clumpy random exploits I offer up.
Textile Artist - for while I was happy with this one... and it is the way most of my genre choose to describe themselves.
However, for me it didn't seem quite enough, just not quite matching.  Paper is my fabric of choice, and I prefer paint to dyes, I like hand and machine stitch.  I might use beads or bbq sticks.  Us creative stitchers still find prejudice and lack of understanding as to what our techniques and skills can achieve.
So Mixed Media Artist seemed to be a better fit for me, and open more doors.

So here I am settled with my label, not giving it any more thought, until this week.   There it was... should not refer to it as Mixed Media.... should be known as Combined MediaArghhh like that trips off the tongue any better.

I like Mixed Media - kinda fits me... chuck it in together, mix it up and see what comes out, and call it art darhlink!!

Well I have overheard it said – you know which one Beverley is… she’s the one who makes the weird stuff!


Embossing powders, Frantage - hand stitching beads


Papers, stamping and machine stitch


Hand made paper, stitched seams


Machine stitch, paint effects, paper beads, ephemera


No comments: