25 July 2011

I'm a bit sad.... ;-)

At first it feels like an avoidance technique, especially when I have deadlines to meet - but actually having completed, it is a form of liberation.  Iam feeling really really smug - I have tidied out the drawer where I keep my beads. Yes I can open my own shop with the amount I have - but they are almost my drug of choice. I do have to tell myself "step away from the beads" in a shop or at an event. I can watch my hand reaching out for them, swear its not in my control, and before you know it, kerching! I found beads I didn't know I had of course... beads I thought I must have thrown cos I couldn't see them... and the dreaded several packs of the same colour all part used, cos I obviously bought more thinking I didn't have any. Whoops. Wheeee finally got all my Nymo threads in one place, found the reel of pink I knew was somewhere. Embarrassed squirm, I found a pack of self made 'sequins' square ones cut from coloured plastic bottles. I remember spending ages making those, cutting out, squashing under books to get them flat - nice selection in blues and greens - never ever used of course, grin!

I decided how utterly useless the containers I had were, so bought some new. Back in the day we used to visit diy stores and buy all sorts of boxes and things to store our stash in.
And I had 2 of these for my beads... but after day 1, things have never been sorted, its been a case of shove stuff in where it will fit, wedge packs around them in the drawer. Then you can't see what you've got, can't get your fingers in, nor the bead scoop, so let's not bother and only use the beads which are on the top and have easy access.

I have huge quantities of some, from the days when it was a trend to make beaded neckpurses - sigh, we all did them at the time - heck I even taught a class in making them.
So now things are together by colour, so hopefully it will be much easier to pull out a selection, and it will make me actually use the wretched things.



Ssssh we won't mention the bead loom which lives in the bottom of a wardrobe. I have offered the diy boxes to him indoors for the garage... his eyes rolled and he said they could go with the other boxes I've so generously donated to him over the years. Well, as a Textile Artist - there's is nothing quite like a nice storage box!!!
See the one thing they never ever tell you when you embark on an artistic life - is the stash expands to occupy every bit of the house.  A bigger house would be good - cough, I suspect that would mean more space to fill with very important must have stuff!!

1 comment:

Diane Kelsey said...

I have been having a tidy up/ clear out myself today. As fir my beads and embroidery threads that will have to be another day!