27 November 2012

Listening to Alice....

I made a piece of work earlier this year which is based on words from Alice in Wonderland
The real quote is very long, but is often paraphrased into "if you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there"
Well the other day I came across another phrase, of which only part was mentioned. Appropriately, to me, I discovered its from Through the Looking Glass. The remainder of the sentence, which I'd not seen, struck me:
Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas -
only I don't exactly know what they are!
Its like thoughts colliding, because here I am, with stickers all over a craft magazine, that's a good idea, and that one, oooo, and I can do that. Then I get torn in pieces, because I can't possibly copy something else, that someone else has struggled and processed to make. But then on the other hand nothing is new, its all recycled in some shape or form, each interprets, and putting it out there in magazines etc, is it not for sharing?
Perhaps I should go back to my own notebook, because in the very front of it, I have this, as a quote
They copied all they could follow,
but they couldn't copy my mind.
The Mary Gloster   by   Rudyard Kipling

Nah, no-one needs to look into my mind, lots of times I think its stuffed with cotton wool anyway, between the brain and the fingers there's very often miscommunication, well that's my excuse.  So I think I'll have a little play inspired by other people's work.... and may be go back to another love, making work which fits quotations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Beverley;

I just wanted to say a big thank you for sharing and to coin another phrase..."It seems pretty but its hard to understand..."

Take care
Regards
Dawn from Spunart

Unknown said...

Hi Beverley;

Let me say a big thank you
for sharing and
to coin another phrase:
"It seems pretty but hard to understand..."

Take care
Regards