Pages and Sidebar updated 27. 4.17

22 May 2013

Glue, Sticky Backed Plastic and Gold Leaf

So, as Baldrick would say - "I have a cunning plan"....
Get a basic stockpile ready, work on one thing, when I've had enough and am bored with that (probably 2 stitches in) switch to the other prepped set of things.
Actually as usual, I do a lot of working out in my head, auditioning ideas and thinking about them.  No idea why I can't do this via a sketchbook, but the images in my head are photo quality, and I can zoom in and examine - my paper efforts never match these visions.
So first of all, make a whole load of bases - just dash off some crackle painting - easy peasy lemon squeezy.  10 samples later nope, not worked.
Yes I have the, made for the purpose, crackle solution, and yes it works fine, apart from being glossy.  But I want to make the "this is so easy, diy cheap version".  Its all to do with drying times and one layer dries at a different speed to another and ta daaah cracks.  See now this bugs me, why is it soooo easy and I can't do it.  I suspect its because I have industrial strength glue - the sort you can stand a spoon up in, but watering it down didn't help.  Hrrrumph, I will not be beaten, so out came every pot of white/clear lotion and potion I could find.  Nope still not working.  I suspect I may have to resort to a visit to the cheapy shop for childrens glue, but what if that doesn't work.  Might have to go back to using the made for product and somehow overpaint with something to make it matte.

I've had another play with my Gelli Plate, this time in good old Blue Peter style, involving sticky backed plastic - though I'm not sure they ever used gold leaf.  First attempt, at least it worked.
I didn't leave quite clear enough voids on the Plate - so effort number 2 - the Plate looked like this:
I decided, mhmmm I think this could work on paper too, so here's the effort on that one.  Cartridge paper, which had red paint on it and then I lifted a print of the end portion of the Plate, and covered in silver foil.
It didn't take the paint off cleanly, so was left with a nice mottled appearance on this, and of course remaining paint on the Plate.  So lifted the whole Plate with the sticky backed plastic, and then added the silver foil, and this time this is what I got.

Hopefully if you click on the images they will become larger for a better look

There is only one issue with these technique, you have to let the paint dry, and no I didn't watch it!  I left the Gelli Plate on the ironing board over night - this has the added bonus of preventing any ironing from being done!  See, cunning plan.... now all we need is shrink plastic in the oven and dyed fabrics in the washing machine.

2 comments:

Miriam Weaver said...

Your results are interesting I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop your ideas. I find it difficult to get the ideas from head to sketch book too Bev, but city and guilds demands it :-(

Beverley said...

Oh how I hated the C&G 'evidence' thing. It doesn't allow for people who work/think differently. Lots of people do the design 'proof' AFTER the making - but my college we had to do it in advance/as we made. Sometimes with additions like, 2 different design options and 3 different colourways... arghhhhh. Worse costed in advance, and a big inquest if it missed the estimate!