14 February 2011

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day!  In my home county of Norfolk, UK, Valentines Day presents were for children - knock at the door, open it no-one there but presents on the doorstep.  Nothing expensive, a colouring book, a bar of choccy.  I don't know if the tradition lives on, certainly it was part of my childhood, but you can read about Jack Valentine here. As you can see the pic is of one of my obsessions - heart shaped buttons.  Sometime back I thought I needed a motif, to make decorative items, "pretties" and although I love spirals, and have books about their symbolic meaning and use, I decided to go with hearts, as a more easily recognised and universal symbol.  And its so much easier to find heart shaped embellishments, hence the big box of buttons!!!  I've made quite a few pieces based on hearts and sold several of them, so it was a good choice.  Pop along to my website for a look.
Saturday brought information about a postcard exhibiting opportunity, locally - needed by the end of Feb, so better get on with it!  Wonder if there's a resurgence in handmade postcards.  Making them and sending 'naked' through the post has been around for a great many years now - however the Embroiderers' Guild have a project making Olympic postcards, and there are other postcard projects around.  And yes I have made heart postcards.... I could make some more, after all, I have all these buttons to use up!!!

1 comment:

Amanda Sheridan said...

Hi Bev
I'm not far from you and am interested in the postcard exhibiting opportunity you mentioned - any chance of more details?
Thanks
Amanda