25 May 2011

Workshop, Wonderment, Walking


I've lost my mojo, have you seen it? Got loads of ideas, but when it comes to getting down to it, suddenly they don't seem so exciting.
So I thought this past weekend might do something to wake up the creative spirit.
Saturday, I went on a Lynda Monk workshop. It was full on we worked hard, but we came away with lots of goodies. Not least part of the pleasure of the day was that Lynda had prepared everything we needed, so no hunting around for supplies, and better, no trying to fit stuff back in cupboards when returning home. Lynda provided the best 'kit' I've ever came across, generous with materials, and her knowledge. It was also nice to meet up with friends and new acquaintances for the day, so much what these events are about.
Sunday me and himself went off to London. I'm not a lover of the capital, being a country bumpkin, hate the swarms of people. But we had places/people to see.
First off to the degree show of the Julia Caprara School graduates, and in particular to see and support Chris Spencer. Many congratulations Chris, all that hard work. Do look at her blog to see the journey she's made to get this degree. Some of the other work I really liked, some I simply didn't understand, sigh. But this is what art is about, perhaps it makes you think, assess, look again.
Next and not far away, we went to visit a house. This has been on our wish list for sometime, its only open a few days in the year (again this coming Sunday), so very lucky to coincide with the graduate show. 19 Princelet Street. Although neither of us have any connection to the cultures or people who formed part of the history of this house and the area, we still wanted to see it. Its in a bad state of repair, but for me all the more poignant. I spent a lot of time, just sitting, looking, absorbing and imagining those peoples from the past, which is how I like my history... the ordinary folk, their daily lives, seeing the buildings/streets they might have seen.
As we left, look what we found in the pavement - a drain cover I suppose, but no others in the street like this one.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I agree with you about the degree show... some I loved and some... well, I just didn't get it at all! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog Beverley.