10 March 2014

Postcard Swap

I came rather late to finding out about The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap and only signed up on the last day of registration.
Well I could hardly miss it when it involves stitch with paper.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I make "postcards" although its a term I'm told should be more one of 'mini works of art'.

So I decided after debating with myself and only finding out so late in the day, to use one of my already made postcards with a bit of refreshing and additions.

I have done quite a bit of stitching in the past which involves white on white, ie white stitching on paper and colouring after.  This postcard belongs in this category.  (A more recent project has involved coloured stitching on white paper - see)

This is one of the series of cards made with hearts on, to give you an idea of the base layer:
In this case its machine stitch with white threads of various thicknesses.
After all the stitching its time to add colour, this can end up with many many layers of colour, sometimes 7 or 8.  Hearts are a fave motif of mine and have been used with this technique on several pieces.
shows lots of colour tones
'Heart Icon'
This includes hand stitch as well as machine, all white on white with colour added

This is the postcard I have sent to my swap partner
in Ireland





It is all made on 160gsm cartridge paper.  Its machine stitch white on white.  For the colour...the pinky purple is multiple layers of acrylic paint, with some additional alcohol ink. Silver acrylic paint and the gold is acrylic paint mixed with gold bronze powders.  A few heart beads and Tim Holtz words, coloured lightly with Inktense pencil, added.
The whole thing is slightly padded, with a backing of 160gsm cartridge paper. The 'sandwich' is approx 4 layers, and all that appears on the back is my printed name and website details.
I hope the card arrives safely and that my swap partner enjoys receiving it.

1 comment:

Miriam Weaver said...

I'm sure your partner will be delighted to receive your mini work of art. So much effort and detail goes into your pieces Beverley.