15 July 2014

Salvage to Selvedge - My Workshop

Past Saturday I took the meeting at my Embroiderers' Guild Branch.  Finances mean we do several of our own 'inhouse' events, usually a practical session.  I've done many of these over the years.  Between that and the other Members who take the meetings its getting harder and harder to think of something to offer up, not seen before or a new slant on things, for a room of mixed interests and abilities.

I have a reputation in my Branch - heard it said  a few times - "oh you know who Bev is, she does the weird stuff" - Moi!!!  Its more that I'm abstract... realism is beautiful but my brain and fingers just don't co-ordinate to make it.

So... can't let them down can I? Mwah ha ha.  I decided enough, can't expect and assume people have finances for things, nor for an afternoon out do they need to bring masses of stuff.  So in my world, whatever you have in the house can be transformed.  bbq sticks, wire, magazines, chunky beads from the 'buy this garment and get this lovely belt for free',calendars, and books, cardboard boxes.
My intent was not necessarily for them to go home with something beautiful, but rather just to go home and think of what was in the house which can be transformed with a bit of effort.  Its doesn't have to be from the stand point of finance, recycling, more just because its the right thing for the task.

So this is what I had to show them.... plus some of my own work.


You can't assume anything - I asked if everyone knew how to make a cord with thread, pencil and a door handle. I've been doing since a young child, kinda thought one of these things everyone did... For some it brought back memories, for others they'd never come across.  So we had a go at that.  Yes I do have a cord winder machine, but that is no good if your students don't have, so I left it at home.
A selection of the afternoon's play....


I must tell you, one of the ladies brought along her mother, who has early stages memory loss etc.  They have been having trouble getting her to engage with things in the assisted living place she's now in.  There is a crafts person with meetings, but she flatly refuses to join in.  Saturday though she leapt in at the pile of things, took an image from the book, cut it out, and made a piece.  Her daughter was thrilled.  May be the image struck a chord with her, may be it was not 'wasting' precious products, or just simply the different environment.  Anyway everyone had a go at something, chatted, ate cake - which was delicious - after all, that's really the main purpose of the afternoon.

I've already been thinking of what to do for them in the next Programme......a twist on a standard...
Oh and I was 'paid' - here's what I received.
Thread packs from Texere


1 comment:

Lesley said...

Think of all the cords you can make with those !!